Announcements

Summer Reading Program

Picture of Jennifer Batz
Summer Reading Program
by Jennifer Batz - Thursday, June 7, 2018, 11:42 AM

Summer Reading Program

June, 2018

Dear Parent/Guardian,

I hope this letter finds you well and eagerly anticipating an enjoyable and relaxing summer. Summer is a wonderful time for children to pursue interests that extend beyond those offered in our schools while also allocating time to read and build on academic curiosities.

In selecting books for your child to read this summer, please take advantage of the attached summer reading list. We have included a broad array of titles, genres, and areas of interest. We have also partnered with Eastchester’s Public Library to ensure many current titles are reflected on our list and that they are carrying many of the books.

Below are some questions to ask when trying to select a book that is "just right" for your child:

 Is your child interested in the topic?

 Does your child like the illustrations?

 Can your child read or figure out almost all the words?

(Use the Five Finger Rule--as you read, count on one hand any unknown words. If you counted 5 words your child didn’t know on a page, this book is too hard for them right now and you should try another book.)

 Can your child understand what they are reading?

 Is your child reading the text smoothly without stopping to sound out unfamiliar words?

The District is often asked how to best support a child’s academic growth during the summer recess. In response, I offer two suggestions. First, ensure your child is reading. Please take advantage of the thoughtful selections included in our summer reading list and ask your child questions about what he/she has read. Second, take the opportunity to unique adventures and visit museums, zoos, aquariums, and historical sites with your child. These experiences provide your child with authentic, first-hand learning opportunities that make the content of the curricula more meaningful. When asked during the school year for written responses for class assignments and assessments, children naturally draw on these experiences with joy and excitement.

I wish you all an enjoyable and safe summer, filled with special family memories.

Respectfully,

Scott J. Wynne

Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction